Friday, February 26, 2010

Staying in a hotel under the age of 18?

I have already planned and booked a weekend in London with my girlfriend. Upon contacting the hotel to confirm my reservation this evening I asked if there was a policy for under 18s staying in the hotel. The man on the desk said that all under 18s staying without an adult must have written permission from their parents to stay in the hotel. I am 17 and my girlfriend is 16.





M question is do you know what kind of information has to go on this letter and does the hotel usually contact the parent?





The manager is meant to be giving me a call tomorrow to sort things out but my parents don't actually know I am going away and I thought that when booking an adult would be classed as some over 16 since as far as I know by companies trying to make a profit from us that is when we are classed as adults.





Anyonehave any advice?Staying in a hotel under the age of 18?
Changing Hotel seems like a good idea.Staying in a hotel under the age of 18?
Have you been to the hotel? If you can go there try and book a room without telling them your age... If you can't go there either ';sort it out'; with your parents and get permission or take the trip and risk it, who knows, you may be able to book a room there, just don't mention the fact that you are seventeen. Plus, in London the legal age might be different and you could legally stay at the hotel without being 18. Or if you can't stay in ';that'; hotel, find another one, there must be more than one hotel in London, and if you have already booked a room, either get your money back or just pick up the keys when you get there (you can say you are picking them up for the other person in the room who booked the room, unless you don't like lying) %26lt;only use that as a last resort...
Well, I can tell you that your lucky that they will let you stay at all, let alone with a letter. I'm a Front Desk Manager for a Comfort Inn in Ohio, and I've been in the hotel business for a few years now and I can say that most hotels in the United States don't even let you check in unless you are 21 or older, let alone 18. A 16 or 17 year old is way less likely. To answer your question though you'll probally want the letter to be something along the lines of...





';I %26lt;parent name%26gt; give permission for my son/daughter %26lt;your name%26gt; to stay at %26lt;name of hotel%26gt; on %26lt;date of arrival%26gt; to %26lt;date of departure%26gt;. ';





You'll need that at the very least, but you can always contact the hotel and ask them what they want it to say. They will probally want a contact number in case of any kind of problem or emergency. They may even want an explanation as to why you are staying there without a parent/guardian.





As to your second question, my guess will be yes, they will probally contact the parent. Hotels are very careful with underage guests because there is a lot of liability involved. I don't think you'll be able to do this without alerting your parents.





But.... you might get lucky.
condoms and more condoms...





good luck.
One, if you are from out of the country you will need


a passport.





Also, if your parents don't know that you are


going...Boy, you could be in a lot of hot water


on this one....





It's more likely the hotel wants written proof that


it is okay.


More like a letter signed and stamped thru a


notary clerk.
I live in the USA, so I don't know what the restrictions are for reserving hotel rooms in other countries. What I can tell you is that here in the States, there has to be at least one adult checked into a room (they do check IDs).
The reason for this is an under 18 can't be made to form a legally binding contract. The hotel are aware of this, but have asked basically can you provide a Guarantor in case you breach the contract.





Same reason why under 18's can't sign any sort of contract, though you may have thought you were just buying a service rather than taking part in a contract staying in the hotel. They shouldn't have a problem as long as you can find an adult, presumably with a credit card, to provide a guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment